FlagmanPosition posted on: May 9th, 2017
MAIN PURPOSE: Reporting to the Manager Track Protection Services, the Flag Person is responsible for controlling and directing contractors on active railway rights-of-way on and through the construction work zone within defined limits. Using specific railway operating rules, instructions and techniques, this position ensures that contractors clear the working zone prior to the approach of a train minimizing any delays to scheduled railway operations. This individual will direct the contractor’s on-site equipment and personnel when working in close proximity to active rail corridors and related hazards, and communicates and interacts with the contractor and railway personnel in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conducts daily job briefings in order that all contactors understand site specific instructions prior to commencing work
- Review the work site on a minimum daily basis and consults with Supervisor and or contractors representative to understand work being conducted, and any potential hazards.
- Maintain alertness at all times.
- Set up, reposition and dismantle railway specific signage.
- Protect workers and the public by keeping work space free of traffic, and warning oncoming traffic of potential hazards.
- Communicate effectively with other flagmen and Rail Traffic Controllers using established procedures and radio equipment to ensure the understanding of instructions, track protection limits, work site hazards and other specific site conditions.
- Install and dismantles railway signalling devices (flags) at designated locations
- Once briefed, directs movement of personnel and equipment through
- Prepares daily timesheets, work sheets and other reports as required
- Promotes, executes and adheres to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, sub-contractors and consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
- Driving of assigned company vehicle
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Sound understanding of railway engineering safety regulations, safe work practices and work procedures and be capable of assisting in maintaining safe work sites
- Able to work in a safety sensitive position, in a unique role directing contractors who are engaged with completing multi-million dollar construction projects on live railway corridors within tight schedules
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures
- A high school diploma with at least 2 years of related work experience in the protecting of track units and track work or related experiences in railway environments
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License
- Canadian Railway Operating Rules certification considered an asset.
- Prior experience working within a railway company is a definite asset.
- Training in railway “Track Inspection Guidelines” or equivalent is an asset
- Ability to read instructions, follow written policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Perform duties in inclement weather, with possible exposure to severe weather conditions.
- Ability to maintain concentration and mental alertness in a variety of situations.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive Pay
- An industry leading comprehensive benefits program
- The opportunity to work with a great team where Safety is an integral part of our culture
Please send your resume and a cover letter quoting “Flag Person – GTA” in the subject line to:
Anisa Hossain – Human Resources Coordinator
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
A&B Rail Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.